We Are Goat People Now

It has now been over a week since we brought home our goats. I’m happy to say we have kept them all alive and well.

Judah, Princess, Mizi

We have been researching about Nigerian Dwarf goats for over a year, but just like everything else, much of the learning curve comes by experience and not just through books or the internet. We are learning so much and having an amazing time along the way!

The first few days of having the goats here were challenging. Not only did we bring home a 2-3 week old buck that needs bottle feeding three times a day, we brought home a doe in milk that was now engorged, and a pregnant doe that we hope and pray wasn’t traumatized to the point of aborting.

We also brought home a 2-month old wether, who up until the day we brought him home, was happy go lucky and still nursing on his momma. The poor little wether had been handled twice in his life and those two times were quite traumatic {{banding, aka neutering, and mama/herd separation}}.

Our doe in milk, Mizi, was so traumatized by the transition from her normal everyday life in the herd to moving to the other side of the tracks to be part of our herd, that she refused to let us milk her. Though she seems to like us, she was too tense to milk. After a few days of trying, we had to change gears to alleviating the pressure of engorgement and not even try to capture the milk anymore. We had to let go of the promise of fresh raw milk and allow her to start drying up. We hope to give her body several months of rest before we breed her again.

Mizi loves my husband and she loves to be brushed

Our pregnant doe, Princess, handled the transition a little easier. But then again, she hadn’t just delivered three babies. She is pregnant, and to the best of our ability to tell, she did not abort her pregnancy through the stress of moving. She has the sweetest disposition and has more of a take-charge personality than the others.


Judah has finally allowed us to pet him, and even hold him a few times. The first time I picked him up he screamed so loudly, like he was being skinned alive or something. Even though he doesn’t want to be handled, he now lets us pick him up and he does so without the ear piercing cries.


Finally, little Boaz, sweet baby Boaz. Ohemgee. He is absolutely the cutest little thing ever. Currently we are treating him for coccidiosis and having to clean up the aftermath of that…in case you didn’t know, it’s parasites and the squirts.


Everybody loves this little guy. He gets into everything. He’s clumsy. He’s an oaf. He’s a hot mess. He leaves muddy/poopy prints on the backs of our knees. He chews on everything, especially zipper pulls. He chases us. He thinks he’s bigger than he is. He’s our little Boaz. We are soaking up the love now, because in a few short weeks he will reach sexual maturity and will begin marking himself. And at that point, I doubt we will pick him up and cuddle with him ever again.




Boaz is just now a month old and still getting his bottle of milk three times a day. The hubs and I get some special alone time at 6 am and 9 pm with a couple of bottle feedings. The hubs and I haven’t been on a date in years. But we like to take walks together. In the uber dark hour before the sun rises. When the temperature is still well below freezing. Isn’t it romantic?


It looks like we have another winter storm rolling through. Today was spent picking up a few bales of straw to not only clean up after Boaz’s hiney incidents, but also to refresh the supply in the dog house and chicken roost. Hoping this is the last of grumpy old man winter for the season. I’m ready to dig in the dirt and get some plants in the ground. Oh, and we are making good progress on the buck yard. I’ll update on that soon.

In the meantime, here are my boys cleaning up some goat shed yuckiness and prepping for the next round of snow heading our way.

I don’t know why my son is wearing a traffic cone on his head. You don’t want to know why we even have one. But I’m sure it may make its way on to the blog eventually.

With the nor’easter that blew through here a couple weeks ago, we lost power for almost a day. We had no idea how long the power would be out, but we did know it was a widespread issue. We ended up having to cook a meal on the camp stove with a mini propane tank. Of course because it is gas, we had to cook outside. In the storm. Not fun. {Y’all know by “we” I always mean my husband, right?}

Well, this time around we decided that we wanted to make sure we are prepared with a portable burner that we could plug in to the generator should the power be out again. I’ve had my eye on this particular one for several months, dreading the idea of dropping $40 on something I won’t use often. Well, I just happened to look at it a few days ago and it was only $19. So glad I put it off for so long!


Finally, I leave you with this big, round, pregnant belly…8 months now!


As you can see, I’m dressed to match our new lifestyle. We are goat people now. Thanks for stopping by today.

Oh, and with the bad weather coming this week, we should have opportunity to complete the baby’s room! And I promise I will share about that, because not everything can be about goats, amiright?

See ya soon.

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Love love love these pictures! Keep posting about your journey! Love the pic of your hubby with the goats, haha!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. triciasengul says:

      Thanks for the encouragement! And thank you for stopping by 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s